The Traffic Management Contractors Association (TMCA) celebrates 25 years 'in business' this year as it was established in 1989 (encouraged by the Department for Transport) as a trade association to represent the views of its members, and to further the development (& increase safety) with regard to temporary traffic management systems at major roadworks sites on a national basis.
Members of the TMCA are required to consistently set high standards for the installation, maintenance and removal of major traffic management schemes and to be at the forefront in establishing Industry Best Practice.
The TMCA provides a forum for consulting with all the major stakeholders, including the Highways Agency, the Association of Chief Police Officers, the Health & Safety Executive and the County Surveyors Society.
Members of the TMCA have been collectively trading for over 175 years, and it is this huge depth of experience which enables the TMCA to represent the industry on numerous committees including the Road Workers Safety Forum (RoWSaF). In addition, the TMCA has had a significant input into the industry's major documentation:- "Guidance for Safer Traffic Management"; "Traffic Management – a Good Working Practice"; "Chapter 8 of the Traffic Signs Manual" and "Sector Scheme 12 of the Specification for Highway Works".
Officers of the Association
Richard Pearson - Company Secretary
TM Experience - 34 yrs (1979 - 2013)
Qualifications - MCIHT, MISM, HND in Business Studies, IOSH, CSCS Contracts Manager Industry Accreditation
- Richard Pearson was actively involved in the formation of the TMCA in 1989.
- Elected Deputy Chairman of the Association in 1993.
- Elected Chairman of the Association in 1997 till retirement at Xmas 2013.
- Elected Secretary of the Association from Jan 2014.
Martin Pollard - Technical Liaison Officer
TM Experience - Over 30 yrs (1984 - present)
Qualifications - MIHT, Fellow of the Institution of British Engineers, LLB (Hons), P.G Dip
- Martin joined Chevron in 1984, becoming a Company Director in 2003.
- He has been the Technical Liaison Officer for the Traffic Management Contractors Association since 1998, and has represented them on the Road Workers Safety Forum, RoWsaF steering committee; the working group; and the practitioners sub group, and trials sub group.
- Martin has also lectured extensively throughout the UK on temporary traffic management issues, including “the use of Chapter 8” and “the use of Specification for Highways Works in connection with Traffic Management”.
- With over 30 years’ experience within traffic management, Martin is highly passionate about improving safety standards within the industry.
Grahame Beswick - Chairman
TM Experience - 39 yrs
Qualifications - HNC in Civil Engineering
- 15 years experience in highway construction and maintenance with various major contractors prior to joining H W Martin in March 1990.
- Deputy Chairman of TMCA for 15 years before being elected Chairman from Dec 2013.
- An active participant on numerous industry committees/working groups in conjunction with Highways Agency, H.S.E. & County Surveyors Society.
- Formulated to produce guidance & develop/improve the current application of Traffic Management on motorways & high speed roads including Deputy Chair of 12A/B & 12C Sector Scheme Technical Advisory Committee & Chair of 12A/B/C Training Subcommittee 12D & 12D Training Subcommittee member. IOSH certificated “Safety for Senior Executives”.